Yes, one last jab in the back before he left office.
The United States did not utilize its veto power on a recent UN resolution regarding Jerusalem and the Settlements in Judea and Samaria. Thus Christmas was welcomed by the UN Security counsel with the passing of Resolution 2334 with a vote of 14. The US chose to abstain from this vote. Not vote for it, or use its veto power, but abstain.
Now this isn’t totally surprising, given the love President Obama has shown to the state of Israel and its settlements. But this resolution is not just about the settlements. The despicable organization has made the entire resolution public for our reading. The reason the US did not feel the need to veto this resolution was because of an addition that condemned violence and terrorism as well as incitement. Well, that makes it okay then, I guess. Not.
- The statement that Israel’s establishment of settlements across the Green Line (including eastern Jerusalem) “has no legal validity and constitutes a flagrant violation under international law and a major obstacle to the achievement of the two-State solution and a just, lasting and comprehensive peace,” and the demand that Israel “cease all settlement activities in the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem.”
- The condemnation of attempts to change the “demographic composition, character and status of the Palestinian Territory occupied since 1967.”
- The statement that the UN will recognize no changes in the pre-1967 lines except those agreed upon by both sides.
- The call for “all States … to distinguish, in their relevant dealings, between the territory of the State of Israel and the territories occupied since 1967.”
- The condemnation of violence, terrorism, incitement, etc. (The “fig leaf” that allowed the US to abstain on what was originally a 100% anti-Israel resolution).
- The request that the UN Secretary-General report on the progress of implementing the resolution every three months (Source).
Now where do we even start with this so called resolution? Essentially not only while condemning the settlements, it also refers to Jerusalem (specifically East Jerusalem)as occupied, even though Jerusalem is one city, not a divided one.
It practically demands that Israel divide its own city. Jerusalem, prior to the establishment of the state of Israel was one city under the Ottoman Empire and was never split until Jordanian occupation from 1949-1967.
It also demands the return to the pre-six-day-war borders, but conveniently forgets that in that event the territory would return to Jordan (even if they relinquished all claims to those lands prior to open negotiations with Israel for formal peace).
But of course, the UN sees no problem with its actions and the Obama administration maintains its decision. This shameful and despicable resolution is just Obama’s last attempt to do something for his legacy. The UN is determined to force Israel to negotiate with a corrupt and terrorist supporting organization which has no plans of making any kind of concessions towards peace.
History will judge President Obama with the same contempt it judged Jimmy Carter. Same dislike of Israel, same useless Nobel Peace prize, but at least Carter worked for his.